In the last year, I’ve gotten really picky about booze. I’m at the point where I’d rather just sip water than drink a well vodka soda at a bar just because I want something in my hand (this took YEARS). Aside from having 90% less hangovers, this has lead to me experimenting with cocktail recipes. On Sunday I made Drew and I these perfect summertime cocktails after we walked around in the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens. I think this is my favorite Summer cocktail, and it is very easy to make, with inexpensive, easy to find ingredients.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Sliced seedless watermelon
- Mint leaves
- Vodka (I used 42 Below- an inexpensive but tasty choice)
- Seltzer/soda water (no sugar- yay)
- Sweetener (if you’d like, I used very sparingly) I used Rose Royal lavender lemon simple syrup which I bought from Catbird, one of my favorite stores here in Brooklyn.
- A muddler
- Straws (I originally chose purple because they looked cute with the simple syrup but opted for red as you will see later – striped paper straws would have been ideal)
- A cocktail shaker, ideally, if not, no big deal
Also: you can use gin or rum in this cocktail if you prefer. I’ve made it, or variations of it, with both. Mojitos are made with rum, but I do prefer vodka because it is less sweet. But whatever you’re into.
First, place a few cubes of watermelon and about 8 mint leaves at the bottom of a glass (I used mason jars).
Then, using the muddler, smush the watermelon and mint until it is as close to a liquid as possible, this causes the mint to release into the liquid mixture, and is a lot harder to do with any other tool (but I’ve definitely used the other end of a fork, etc).
Place a few large ice cubes in the glass
In the shaker, measure out 1.5 shots of vodka, and about 1/4 of a shot of the simple syrup, and shake
Pour vodka mixture into the glass, and top with seltzer
Stir with straw and DRANK. Picking out the watermelon bits to eat at the end is fun.
I just want to eat this out of the bowl
No idea where we got these tacky bachelorette-esq shot glasses. I never take shots but this is cute and good for measuring.
Pour up... DRANK. I obv made this perfect cocktail using my Libra skills of balance
(Libra candle, Urban Outfitters $10, Guadelupe candle, grocery store $2) .
Hope you enjoy and realize how easy it is to make a drink that actually tastes good, while also doing the job. For you non-drinkers, this tastes just as great virgin. Tip: making this blended with no soda water and just extra watermelon is also amazing.