I love tacos. Be it roach coach or some bougie Korean fusion, I could eat them everyday, and do pretty frequently. Maybe it’s because I’m from LA, or love spicy things. Everyone in NY is all about their pizza, but I would give up pizza for tacos in a second. I betrayed my taco loving ways for a bit in favor of the much denser burrito in San Francisco, but I’m back. I’ve always struggled to make the tacos I cook at home as tasty as the ones I’d buy out, the meat just never tasted as flavorful and just tasted like
I finally have (yes I said it) perfected tacos from home. Below I will teach you my ways.
Incredibly graphic close up taken 1 second before inhaling these
- Corn tortillas (1-2 per taco, I prefer one though it is sloppier, but less dense)
- Black beans
- Shredded cheese
- 2-3 chicken breasts
- Mixed peppers (red, green, yellow, chopped)
- Onion (chopped)
- Fajita Seasoning (or mix of garlic, cayenne, salt, petter,)
- Mango (skinned and chopped)
- Hot sauce of choice (I like Cholula with lime)
- Slow cooker (I have this Hello Kitty one because obviously)
You’ll have to start with the chicken first, because it is made in a slow cooker and sits overnight. I know the idea of planning this seems annoying, but it is so simple and once the chicken is shredded, a few chicken breasts makes so many tacos so you have lunch for at least two the following day.
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 6-8 hours
- Using a knife or kitchen scissors, chop the breasts into 4 pieces each, toss into slow cooker pot
- Add chopped peppers, chopped jalepeno, chopped garlic, and chopped onion so the mixture is about 1/3 vegetables
- Add half a packet of fajita mix and pour 2 cups of water into pot. Mix with hands so chicken and vegetables are coated. If you opt to season yourself, add water first then toss in spices. I do not take this super seriously and eyeball everything and it always works.
- Let cook on low for 6-8 hours, towards the end, partially remove lid so sauce thickens.
- Chicken will be done after 6 hours, but leave longer if you want pieces to fall apart to a full shredded texture.
Once you have your chicken mixture, the rest is so simple.
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 0
- Heat tortillas in a pan with a bit of melted butter (or alone but I like a lil crispy butter)
- Line tortillas with lettuce
- Scoop in a spoonful of black beans to each taco
- Scoop in chicken
- Top with cheese mixture
- Chop mango into tiny pieces, add to a bowl with salt, lime juice, and hotsauce. Mix it up so the mango is coated. (This is to imitate the chili mangos sold at street carts in my neighborhood- my favorite snack)
- Top tacos with chili mango mixture
I didn’t take photos of me making this because I was so excited to eat. Sorry about that.