I went from not really knowing wtf preserves were to always having a few jars in my fridge in the last six months or so. I found ways to incorporate them into different recipes I’ve repeated multiple times, and worst case scenario, they are pretty much just tasty jam (which I don’t like on toast, but I do like on crackers with meat and cheese). Also, if you’re totally new to this, preserves are “food made with fruit preserved in sugar (jam or marmalade)”.
My favorite brand is Bonne Maman, which is a French brand that has cute red and white checkered lid tops. The two recipes that I’ll go into today where I incorporate preserves are Peach BBQ Pulled Chicken and Inside Out Chicken Cordon Bleu.
Peach BBQ Pulled Chicken
This is a simple recipe to make pulled/shredded chicken in a slow cooker. It’s great for a BBQ plate or sandwich.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1/2 bottle Sweet Baby Rays Chipotle BBQ Sauce (or sauce of your choice)
- 1/2 jar Bonne Maman Peach Preserves
- Diced Onion (if you’d like)
- Slow Cooker
This is a recipe that will impress your guests, or yourself, and is easy enough for non-cooks, but rewarding enough that those who love to cook have plenty of time to whip up some sides. It’s as easy as this:
1. Cut chicken breasts into cubes and place in slow cooker
2. Pour BBQ sauce, onions, and preserves into slow cooker
3. Mix until all chicken is coated
4. Cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours
5. Cook on LOW for 1-2 hours so chicken pulls apart, slide lid half off to thicken sauce
I made it last night with a variety of sides
It was also a hit when I tried it for the first time
Inside Out Chicken Cordon Bleu
This baked chicken recipe is amazing, easy, and is rich enough that a simple vegetable side is all you need.
- Chicken breasts (1 per serving)
- Sliced honey ham deli meat (2 slices per serving)
- Cheese, I prefer gruyere (1 slice per serving)
- Bonne Maman fig preserves (1 teaspoon per serving)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350
2. Place a spoonful of fig preserves to the top of each chicken breast and spread over top
3. Place a slice of cheese on top of chicken breast
4. Using 1-2 slices of deli ham, wrap the ham around the chicken breast to secure the jam and cheese, you can use a toothpick to hold if necessary
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked
Here’s the finished product with a side of sautéed kale